By law truck must be weighed at designated weighbridges to ascertain their axle load. The process involves:
- The truck driver presents the documentation required for weighbridge processing. The required documents differ depending on whether the goods are local or transit (See Documents)
- At the weighbridge the truck follows the queue to wait for its turn to be weighed by the weighing bridge officials
- When the truck turns arrives, the driver rolls up the truck onto the weighing bridge for weighing
- If the weight is within the set limits the truck driver is issued by a weighing receipt that captures the details of the truck and its axle load
- If the weight exceeds set limits, the truck goes back to the queue to be weighed a second time.
- A second confirmation of excess weight will result in the truck being impounded by the Kenya Police Service and court proceedings started against the truck and driver.